Rat and Mice Poison, Safe Use with City and Guilds / NPTC
Safe use of Rat and Mice Poison August 2020
Training 1 day plus a couple of hours on a second day for the assessment
Training fee £110 +VAT = £132 per person.
Assessment plus City and Guilds registration fee £120 no VAT per person
Total £252 per person.
As a result a code of practice has been developed to:
- improve industry best practice
- ensure we do better in the protection of non target species
- work on procedures to reduce resistance in rats and mice
In conclusion after reading through the code of practice we will have a much clearer understanding of the products we are using.
However, due to this code of practice you must:
- have considered alternative methods of control before using first and second generation anticoagulants,
- understand the half life of secondary poisoning in non target species
- keep non target species protected and treatments are in designated areas
- apply an integrated pest control approach e.g. trapping, habitat changes, shooting
- not permanently bait as a method of control
- in addition try not to go straight for the poison tub!
Therefore in the Safe Use of Rat and Mice Poison August 2020 course you will cover the following areas:
- laws relating to the safe use of poisons
- knowledge and understanding of a product label
- understand how to minimise the risk of human contamination and implement emergency procedures
- know how to store and transport poisons safely
- know how to manage and dispose of surplus poisons and waste products
- record keeping requirements
- understand how to minimise the risk of environmental contamination
- assessed the environmental factors on a specific site
- characteristics of rats and mice and their impact
- completed a site survey
- as a result of the above, complete a practical task
- and finally carry out post application procedures