Forestry and Arboricultural Training Fund
with Defra and The Forestry Commission
Due to unprecedented demand, funding has been allocated until April 2024!
As such please do not ask us for dates in 2024, we are not able to schedule that far ahead at the moment. Dates for 2024 will go live in November 2023.
We appreciate this isn’t the news you want and appreciate your understanding.
The Forestry and Arboricultural Training Fund (FTF) is for people considering a change of career or those who are looking to build, develop and expand skills within the forestry industry.
The Forestry and Arboricultural Training Fund is part of the Nature for Climate Fund, part of which will kick-start a step-change in tree planting in England. With the aim of increasing and protecting biodiversity by providing habitat connectivity, as well as capturing carbon as part of the pathway to net zero emissions by 2050. Over £700,000 has been allocated by Defra and the Forestry Commission.
The fund will cover training costs for short practical forestry courses, and the government is offering 100% funding for eligible courses and expect grants to be in the range of £150 – £3,000. Funding is paid directly to us the training provider.
Dates from October 2023 – March 2025 are on offer through the funding.
You must have approval from the EMB (the funding body) you cannot just book onto the courses and say you want funding after the fact. The terms within all the links on this page are clear.
We don't have the money. It is only paid to us after you have received Grant Approval and attended the course.
If you pay for the courses before approval has been granted, you are not eligible for the funding and no refunds will be issued.
Please read the details carefully below and apply directly to the EMB within the red buttons.
If the terms are not read and adhered to, we will remove ourselves from the training provider list.
Although there is a fantastic list of courses available, remember there are only so many days in a week, and as such, there is a limit to what we can offer.
With this in mind, we are only able to offer what is already on our calendar, we haven’t the capacity, trees, staff, and assessors to offer anything in addition.
So, here is a list of what we are able to offer:
- Chainsaw maintenance, crosscutting and felling small trees up to 380mm
- Fell medium trees from 380mm up to 760mm
- Tree climbing and aerial rescue
- Chainsaw from a rope and harness
- Aerial tree rigging (please only request this unit if you have being actively carrying out aerial operations for at least 2 years)
- Brushcutter and Trimmer
- Handheld hedge cutter
- PA1 safe handling and application of pesticides
- PA6a handheld application (knapsack)
- PA6aw to or near water
- PA6pp Ecoplugs
- PA6inj Stem Injection
- PA6mc Minimal Calibration (weedstick)
- Safe use of aluminium phosphides for vertebrate pest control (rabbits, rats and moles)
- ATV sit astride and trailer
We appreciate that this may not be what you are looking for, however, think about it a little differently. Why not gain some qualifications that:
- aren’t as popular
- you hadn’t considered before
- may open new doors to work and contracts
- are more niche
In order to apply for your chosen course(s) you need the following information:
- Course title(s)
- Training provider name – Lowe Maintenance
- Course date (see our calendar, or book now page for live availability) or contact Demelza
- The total cost of the courses (ours include VAT)
You then need to click the red button ‘APPLY NOW’ and complete the form.
Once you have approval from ELB through your Grant Offer letter, you must do the following to book your place on your chosen course:
- Email email@example.com to ask for your code to add to the checkout so you don’t pay on booking.
- Add the course(s) to the basket and proceed to the checkout
- Complete all the boxes as requested, ensuring that you put the billing details as Forestry Training Fund, EMB, 5 Merus Court, Leicester, LE19 1RJ.
- Add your personal details in the candidate section.
- Put your Grant Reference number into the notes section.
- Put the coupon code issued by Lowe Maintenance where requested and submit your order.
- We will then send you an email acknowledging your order and confirming whether we have accepted your order.
As with all funding, there are a number of things that you MUST do to ensure things run as smoothly as possible.
After you have placed the booking, you will need to:
- complete tasks asked in follow-up emails
- activate the candidate portal
- fill out the registration form
- email through:
- a copy of your Grant Offer letter
- copies of any pre-requisite certificates of competence
This is a fabulous opportunity, 100% fully funded courses are almost as rare as rocking horse pooh!
When choosing us as your training provider for this amazing opportunity you need to agree to our terms to proceed. Here are the details.
The biggest thing you need to be aware of is that if you cancel the course(s) more than 5 working days in advance of the course(s) you will be liable for the full cost, as we will have paid registration fees, organised trainers and assessors who still need to be paid.
Don’t forget to keep an eye on the funding website, it is moving incredibly quickly and the funding is limited!