Introduction to Basic Hedge Laying
Introduction to Hedge laying
Hedgelaying is an ancient traditional countryside craft with many different regional styles. It involves partially cutting through the stems, laying them over and weaving them together to produce a thick living barrier which then regrows from the base.
The basic principals of the cutting method are the same for all the regional styles, but the weaving, staking and presentation of the hedge differs between regions. This reflects the differences in the agricultural systems and practices of the different parts of the country, whether it is a sheep rearing area, cattle rearing or even arable farming area.
The Hedgelaying season is from Mid October to the end of March when the hedge-plants are in their dormant period.
Theses courses will be run by Andrew Kirkwood champion hedge layer.
Introduction to Basic Hedge Laying with Andrew Kirkwood
By the end of the course you should be able to:
1) To be able to identify and maintain the tools needed for hedgelaying
2) To identify the hazards associated with hedgelaying activities and to be able to work in a safe and effective manner
3) To be able to successfully cut and lay a section of hedge in the local style
4) To understand the aftercare and subsequent management of the hedge
Training fee £150 +VAT = £180 per person
All fees are payable upon booking
You will require:
1) Coveralls or old clothing
2) Safety footwear
3) Welding style gauntlet leather gloves e.g. Re-enforced welding gauntlet or Welding Gauntlet
4) Safety glasses or helmet with mesh visor (chainsaw style)
6) Dinner and drinks
And bags of enthusiasm!
We will provide other specific equipment for the training
Two days training
Lowe Maintenance Certification of Attendance Basic Introduction to Hedge Laying
Submit your review
Super worthwhile course. Catering to all skill levels enabling people to successfully work/learn at their own pace whilst receiving excellent tuition from a vastly experienced tutor.Would highly recommend.
Really pleased you enjoyed the course and found it so worthwhile and have already put your skills in to practice since the course.
Keep us updated with more photos of your progress.
Excellent course regardless of previous experience. Went from a novice to being able to lay my own hedge in two days. Andrew's instruction was easy to grasp and covered all aspects of the task. Well worth the time and money.
Really pleased that you gained so much from the course and felt able to transfer the skills learnt easily to your own hedge.
What’s my next step?