Safe Use of Sheep Dip
Welcome to our sheep dip course page, where you will find everything you need to know on how you can become a qualified sheep dip operator.
The dipping of sheep with products such as Gold Fleece tends to come in cycles. You may have had a good control of ectoparasites up to date through pour or injectables. However, something may have tipped the balance and as such you now must dip your flock.
As such you may have:
- Tried to purchase an OP Dip such as Gold Fleece
- Discovered you cannot buy sheep dip
- Now realised that you need to complete the Safe Use of Sheep Dip Certificate of Competence to legally purchase your sheep dip.
OP dips are an effective treatment against a wide range of ectoparasites, however they are also a dangerous product, as such operator safety is paramount throughout, and complacency should be eliminated at every stage of the dipping process.
We understand that no one wants to be told that they must do something! Especially when they may have been doing it for years alongside a family member or staff who have the certificate. Yet we are positive that you can appreciate how dangerous sheep dip is, not only for you but the environment too.
Our sheep dip course is a one-day blended e-learning, online course. Taught through fabulous video and a detailed workbook.
You then attend in Settle for your assessments
- Multiple choice exam
- A face-to-face practical assessment
To achieve your sheep dip certificate of competence you must pass both parts of the assessment process.
So if you are a sheep farmer, contractor and looking for a reliable dip operator our sheep dip course for treating
- Sheep Scab
- Blow Fly
Provides you with everything you need for the two part assessment process
On our sheep dipping course, you will be learning about:
- your legal responsibilities such as reading the manufacturer’s instructions
- risks with storing, handling, mixing and calibrating sheep dip
- the range of ectoparasites and other treatments available
- disposing of chemical waste safely and legally
- safe working practices and industry best practices
- emergency actions
- health monitoring and record-keeping
It saves you:
- travelling time
- fuel costs
- an early start if you are not local to the area
This is a self-taught qualification, once you have booked you will get an email containing a link to your candidate portal. On the portal, you can view and listen to all the course materials in bite-sized chunks on your own schedule. We will post out all the workbooks and related documentation to you, so you can work through the pack alongside the videos.
All the training is done from the comfort of your own home or workplace – how amazing is that!
You will have from your purchase point to the booked assessment date to complete the learning materials, to ensure you are ready to take the exam and practical assessment.
Please note that the exam and assessment will be completed face to face and this will be in Settle, North Yorkshire. You complete the exam on the same day as the practical assessment, although you must pass the exam to continue onto the practical assessment.
Without this the safe use of sheep dip certificate of competence, you can not legally apply OP sheep dip as a professional user.
As a result, the safe use of sheep dip training is not just about you being able to purchase the products. It is about the safe application of the sheep dip product. To protect not only you but the environment in which you work.
Many of you are possibly already actively using OP dip as part of your ectoparasite control. However, you may have discovered that as a professional operator you need a certificate of competence. To enable you to carry on doing so.
You may have been asked by:
- your farm assurance body
- your employer
- or a new contract opportunity to demonstrate competence through certification
You could be new to the job or have been doing it for years and things have changed. If so and you are faced with having to gain your sheep dipping qualification have you been:
- struggling to find the right fit in terms of a training provider?
- concerned you don’t have the time to do a sit-down face to face course?
- worried you will get it wrong or waste your hard-earned money?
- concerned that it will feel like going back to school?
- looking to gain a qualification to continue with jobs because legislation has changed?
- offered a new and exciting contract, but need another ticket/qualification to seal the deal?
Then we can help you!
No matter which sector you are coming from, and the level of experience. We can work with you to understand your training needs. To tailor a programme and provide courses that will be suitable for you.
Providing award-winning training through tailored, flexible, friendly, approachable trainers and assessors.
Finally, as with all Lowe Maintenance courses, you get support and advice via email or on the phone. If you need it in the future. Just because you’ve completed the course doesn’t mean you can’t get in touch if you need more information or guidance.
Other courses of interest to you
As long as you have the certificate of competence in the safe use of sheep dip then yes.
You learn everything that you need to on the courses, the candidate portal is full of information, take the time to read it!