PA6inj Stem injection

Our PA6inj stem injection courses run monthly and it is an extremely effective way to control hollow stemmed plants such as Giant Hogweed or Japanese Knotweed. Please note the PA1 is a pre-requisite to all the pesticides application units.

Safe use of stem injection equipment


The PA6inj stem injection course is ideal for those who need to control non-native invasive species such as Giant Hogweed, Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam. If you have found your way here you have discovered that you need a different qualification to carry out stem injection treatments! The PA6inj stem injection application unit will only enable you to carry out injection application, not other handheld application methods. 

Before being able to move onto an application unit such as the PA6inj stem injection. You must firstly have completed and passed the PA1 Handling and Application of Pesticides. 

PA6inj stem injection runs over two half-days.  Session one is a few hours session via a zoom call covering the theory such as:

  • stem injection equipment
  • needle choice and how important the correct needle is for the job that you are doing
  • environmental risk assessments
  • principles of calibration 
  • how to protect water bodies when working near to them
  • importance of using pesticides with aquatic approval 
  • defining to or near water

Session two again a few hours session, however this time a face to face practical session:

  • stem injection equipment pre-use checks
  • complete an environmental risk assessment
  • identify the treatment area
  • calibration of your stem injection equipment
  • measuring and filling of the stem injector
  • carry out a dummy application 
  • completing application records
  • dealing with waste

Many of you are already actively using pesticides. But did you know that if you are carrying out PA6inj stem injection that you will most likely need a different qualification? There are exceptions you can ask us about. 

Protecting the environments in which we work is extremely important. Consequently, you have a responsibility to work to industry best practice and apply the pesticide products safely and legally. 

You will be learning about:
  • all those points listed above
  • your legal responsibilities when using these products
  • how to work to industry best practice
  • the correct PPE to wear to keep you safe
  • that the correct application can save you money in the future!

Our PA6inj stem injection course, session one has now gone online. But do not worry we will talk you through everything you need to do. It is a simple and straightforward way to carry out the first part of your PA6inj course. 

It saves you:
  • travelling time
  • fuel costs
  • an early start if you are not local to the area

Once you have booked onto the course we will send you full course joining instructions. That will contain a zoom link. As a result, you can learn everything you need via the conference type call with the trainer in front of you. We will post out all the workbooks and documentation to you in advance of the course. So you can work through the pack step by step with the trainer, it is as simple as 1,2,3 honestly!

All done from the comfort of your own home or workplace – how amazing is that!

Also, a huge bonus for you is that you get to use our stem injection and measuring equipment at no extra cost.
With regards to the assessment we will endeavour to do it in the afternoon of session 2, so you only need to travel once. Although we do aim for this we can not guarantee it.

Remember before being able to move onto an application unit such as the PA6inj. You must have completed and passed the PA1 Handling and Application of Pesticides. 

As a result, the safe use of pesticides is not just about the buying of the products you use. Such as herbicides (weed killers). It is about the safe application of these products. To protect not only you but the environment in which you work. In particular to or near watercourses including dry ditches. 

Many of you are already actively using pesticides in controlling weeds and pests. However, you may have discovered that as a professional operator you need a certificate of competence. To enable you to carry on doing so.

You may have been asked by:
  • your farm assurance body or an environmental body
  • your employer
  • or a new contract opportunity to demonstrate competence through certification

You could be new to the job or been doing it for over 40 years and things have changed. If so and you are faced with having to gain your spraying qualifications have you been:

  • struggling to find the right fit in terms of a training provider?
  • confused by all the names, numbers and acronyms for the land based courses that are available to you?
  • worried you will get it wrong or waste your hard-earned money?
  • concerned that it will feel like going back to school?
  • looking to gain a qualification to continue with jobs because legislation has changed?
  • offered a new and exciting contract, but need another ticket/qualification to seal the deal?
Then we can help you!

No matter which sector you are coming from, and the level of experience. We can work with you to understand your training needs. To tailor a programme and provide courses that will be suitable for you.

Providing award-winning training through tailored, flexible, friendly, approachable trainers and assessors.

All courses are run with small groups. To ensure you have as much time as needed to learn and experience the requirements for the assessments. If you chose to take them. Trainers and assessors are experienced, friendly, and approachable.

Finally, as with all Lowe Maintenance courses, you get support and advice via email or on the phone. If you need it in the future. Just because you’ve completed the course doesn’t mean you can’t get in touch if you need more information or guidance.

Other of interest to you


You will require:

  1. Reading glasses (if applicable)
  2. A laptop with webcam (a tablet is the minimum size requirement)
  3. A spray suit/coverall type 5 and 6 (we recommend buying the next size up as they can be quite a small fit)
  4. Nitrile gloves, 5mm thick, 300mm long with no lining or flocking
  5. A pair of wellies (as they are easy to decontaminate)
  6. A full length face shield for when your measuring out concentrate products

Do you need a refresher? HSE advises that you complete a refresher every 5 years, although some insurance companies state every 3 years. We can help. We tend to run the courses when the PA6inj course is running. You just don’t resit the City and Guilds assessment at the end of the day – unless you want to!

Equally if you have a group of people we can put a date together just for you.

Safe Application of Pesticides Using Stem Injection Equipment – one day refresher £100 +VAT = £120 per person

You will receive a Lowe Maintenance Certificate of Completion.


If you think you did your tickets and have lost them, we can check with our assessment centre to see if you are on the system. Please email us with your name, date of birth and address of the place you lived and when you did the courses.

HSE advise that refreshers are taken every 5 years, however that is entirely up to you. It is recommended because things have changed quite a lot in the last thirty years and if you had an incident one of the first questions you are likely to be asked is when were you last refreshed?

Pesticides is the umbrella term for:

  • herbicides (weed killers)
  • insecticide (insects)
  • fungicides (fungi)
  • molluscicides (slugs and snails)
  • vertebrate control agents (not rodenticides)
  • wood preservatives
  • growth regulators

So, if you use any of these as a professional you require the relevant tickets

No, we can provide all the spraying equipment at no extra cost. That way we know all the equipment isn’t contaminated in case someone has a reaction to a product that was used if you bought your own kit.

In 2015 the law changed, as a result anyone who uses pesticides as a professional must have certificates of competence for the application method they are using.

There is no such thing as grandfather rights to apply pesticides. There is a grandfather right version of the qualification, if you were born before 1964 you could have choosen to do this qualification. It only enables you to apply pesticides on your land though, nowhere else. However it is no longer available it was only open for a certain length of time

The PA1 foundation unit does not allow you to apply the pesticides and this is clearly stated on the certificate you receive. As a result, in order to legally apply the pesticides, you need the relevant application units.

There is no law stopping you buying a pesticide product, you may be asked at the point of sale for evidence of your certificate.

You can stock pile as much as you like, but you break the law when you apply the products without certification.

The ideal conditions for spraying are:

  • A cool cloudy day
  • Early morning or late evening when it has cooled down
  • Force 2 wind speed

Firstly, you will learn everything that you need to on the courses, however you could read through the Pesticide Code of Practice and look on the website

To apply pesticides near water you will need Environment Agency approval, an Aquaherb01 will need to be completed and permissions given.

However, to complete the form you need to ensure that the product has aquatic approval and you have the correct application methods for the work you are planning to do.

Unfortunately, not, because there are so many ways to apply different products it is not possible to just have one ticket to cover everything.

There are over 50 different application methods available now and you must choose which ones you need, to continue with your work.

My maths is shocking, and I can do the calibrations. You are able to use a calculator and the calibration sheet is a set of boxes, as long as you take your time and practice on the spare sheets we give you, I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

No, you don’t need a ticket to buy pesticides, although you are breaking the law when you apply the products without a relevant application method.

Choice of needle is based on the thickness of the stems you are treating. You do also learn more about needle selection on the course.

If you did the City and Guilds tickets and you still have your certificates, then yes, they certainly do still stand.

If you did the Agricultural Training Board (ATB) route and you didn’t up grade them to City and Guilds when requested, then unfortunately it is unlikely that you still have the qualification

Scroll to Top