PA6mc Minimal calibration

Our PA6mc minimal calibration courses run monthly and it is an extremely effective way to control weeds in a very targeted way, especially in sensitive areas. Please note, the PA1 is a pre-requisite to all the pesticides application units.

Handheld weedwiper or weedstick


Many of you are already actively using pesticides. But did you know that if you are carrying out PA6mc minimal calibration equipment, you will most likely need a different qualification? 

Protecting the environments in which we work is extremely important. Consequently, you have a responsibility to work with industry best practices and apply the pesticide products safely and legally. 

The PA6mc minimal calibration course is ideal for those who need to control weeds in sensitive sites or areas of conservation. If you have found your way here, you have discovered that you need a different qualification to carry out handheld weedwiper or weed stick treatments! The PA6mc minimal calibration application unit will only enable you to carry out minimal calibration applications, not other handheld application methods, such as stem injection or Ecoplugs

Before being able to move onto an application unit such as the PA6mc minimal calibration. You must first have completed the PA1 Handling and Application of Pesticides, we advise booking both units in the same month, it saves you travelling to Settle twice!

Our PA6mc minimal calibration course is online blended learning, But, note that the assessment still has to be done face to face! However, do not worry we will talk you through everything you need to do. It is a simple and straightforward way to carry out your PA6mc course. 

It saves you:
  • travelling time
  • fuel costs
  • an early start if you are not local to the area
  • the worry of being in a group situation 
  • the concern of trying to keep up with others in the group

Once you have booked and purchased the PA6mc you will get an email containing a link to your candidate portal. On the portal, you can view and listen to all the course materials in bite-sized chunks on your own schedule. We will post the workbook and a copy of a clean pesticide label to you, so you can work through the pack alongside the videos.

All the training is done from the comfort of your own home or workplace – how amazing is that!

You will have from your purchase point to the actual assessment date, to complete the learning materials, to ensure you are ready to take the practical assessment.

Also, a huge bonus for you is that you get to use our minimal calibration and measuring equipment at no extra cost.

Remember before being able to move onto an application unit such as the PA6mc. You must have completed and passed the PA1 Handling and Application of Pesticides. 

As a result, we do recommend that you book your PA1 and PA6mc at the same time if you haven’t already completed your PA1 course. 

Remember, the safe use of pesticides is not just about buying the products you use. Such as herbicides (weed killers). It is about the safe application of these products. To protect not only you but the environment in which you work. In particular to or near watercourses including dry ditches. 

Many of you are already actively using pesticides in controlling weeds and pests. However, you may have discovered that as a professional operator you need a certificate of competence. To enable you to carry on doing so.

You may have been asked by:
  • your farm assurance body or an environmental body
  • your employer
  • or a new contract opportunity to demonstrate competence through certification

You could be new to the job or have been doing it for over 40 years and things have changed. If so and you are faced with having to gain your spraying qualifications have you been:

  • struggling to find the right fit in terms of a training provider?
  • confused by all the names, numbers and acronyms for the land based courses that are available to you?
  • worried you will get it wrong or waste your hard-earned money?
  • concerned that it will feel like going back to school?
  • looking to gain a qualification to continue with jobs because legislation has changed?
  • offered a new and exciting contract, but need another ticket/qualification to seal the deal?
Then we can help you!

No matter which sector you are coming from, and your level of experience. We can work with you to understand your training needs. To tailor a programme and provide courses that will be suitable for you.

Providing award-winning training through tailored, flexible, friendly, approachable trainers and assessors.

Finally, as with all Lowe Maintenance courses, you get support and advice via email or on the phone, if you need it in the future. Just because you’ve completed the course doesn’t mean you can’t get in touch if you need more information or guidance.

City and Guilds accreditation

Is the certificate you will gain on successful completion of your Operating Hand Held Applicators Requiring Minimal Calibration PA6mc assessment. 

A  one-day self-taught course, with a practical face-to-face assessment held in Settle.

Assessments are held on a one-to-one basis, by an independent City and Guilds assessor. 

On this PA6mc minimal calibration course, you will be learning about:

  • minimal calibration equipment
  • looking at the weedwiper and weed stick
  • principles of calibration 
  • how to protect water bodies when working near to them
  • importance of using pesticides with aquatic approval 
  • defining to or near water
  • minimal calibration equipment pre-use checks
  • complete an environmental risk assessment
  • calibration of your minimal calibration equipment
  • measuring and filling the weed wiper or weed stick
  • carry out a dummy application 
  • completing application records
  • dealing with waste

Although, you will have to bring your own PPE as you are going to need it once qualified. But don’t worry we provide a thorough list of exactly what you need to bring with you so no hiccups on the day. 

Candidate portal

On booking your course you will be given access to the candidate portal, where you will find lots of leaflets and documentation to read through. There are videos we need you to watch along with the workbook pack sent in the post to work through, to help embed your learning in preparation for your assessment.

This preparation for your assessment will take in the region of 8 hours to complete, do not leave it to the last minute. Remember you need to have completed all the tasks before attending your assessment. The onus is on you to be ready, it works perfectly, as long as you’ve done everything we ask you to 😊


The safe use of minimal calibration equipment is all self-taught, you will attend in Settle for the face-to-face assessment, with an independent City and Guilds assessor. 
An opportunity to look at the weed stick or weedwiper equipment before your assessment is provided, as long as you arrive early to allow for this. 

After you have completed your assessment, access to the video content is removed. 

We may be stating the obvious and it is sad that we have to be saying this as it appears it is not common practice. 

When attending an assessment, you must follow any instructions that are given, for the safety of all involved. 

For further details please see our terms and conditions for courses.

Other courses of interest to you



HSE advise that refreshers are taken every 5 years, however that is entirely up to you. It is recommended because things have changed quite a lot in the last thirty years and if you had an incident one of the first questions you are likely to be asked is when were you last refreshed?

Pesticides is the umbrella term for:

  • herbicides (weed killers)
  • insecticide (insects)
  • fungicides (fungi)
  • molluscicides (slugs and snails)
  • vertebrate control agents (not rodenticides)
  • wood preservatives
  • growth regulators

So, if you use any of these as a professional you require the relevant tickets

No, we can provide all the spraying equipment at no extra cost. That way we know all the equipment isn’t contaminated in case someone has a reaction to a product that was used if you bought your own kit.

In 2015 the law changed, as a result anyone who uses pesticides as a professional must have certificates of competence for the application method they are using.

There is no such thing as grandfather rights to apply pesticides. There is a grandfather right version of the qualification, if you were born before 1964 you could have choosen to do this qualification. It only enables you to apply pesticides on your land though, nowhere else. However it is no longer available it was only open for a certain length of time

The PA1 foundation unit does not allow you to apply the pesticides and this is clearly stated on the certificate you receive. As a result, in order to legally apply the pesticides, you need the relevant application units.

There is no law stopping you buying a pesticide product, you may be asked at the point of sale for evidence of your certificate.

You can stock pile as much as you like, but you break the law when you apply the products without certification.

The ideal conditions for spraying are:

  • A cool cloudy day
  • Early morning or late evening when it has cooled down
  • Force 2 wind speed

Firstly, you will learn everything that you need to on the courses, however you could read through the Pesticide Code of Practice and look on the website

To apply pesticides near water you will need Environment Agency approval, an Aquaherb01 will need to be completed and permissions given.

However, to complete the form you need to ensure that the product has aquatic approval and you have the correct application methods for the work you are planning to do.

Unfortunately, not, because there are so many ways to apply different products it is not possible to just have one ticket to cover everything.

There are over 50 different application methods available now and you must choose which ones you need, to continue with your work.

My maths is shocking, and I can do the calibrations. You are able to use a calculator and the calibration sheet is a set of boxes, as long as you take your time and practice on the spare sheets we give you, I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

No, you don’t need a ticket to buy pesticides, although you are breaking the law when you apply the products without a relevant application method.

If you did the City and Guilds tickets and you still have your certificates, then yes, they certainly do still stand.

If you did the Agricultural Training Board (ATB) route and you didn’t up grade them to City and Guilds when requested, then unfortunately it is unlikely that you still have the qualification

Scroll to Top