Award in Safe Application of Pesticides Using Weed Wipers PA2f

City and Guilds / NPTC Level 2


Everyone who uses pesticides in a professional context will have to complete a suite of pesticide qualifications due to changes in legislation 2015. This applies to everyone who works in the rural economy.

The course will enable you to use weed wipers and wick applicators. They are ideal for using on rushes, bracken and areas of large weed infestation where having direct contact with the target is far more effective. Those working under environmental stewardship schemes find weed wipers effective for weed control as there is no risk of drift.

Award in Safe Application of Pesticides Operating Mounted or Trailed Wick Type Applicators City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 (PA2f)

Prior to coming on this course you must have the Award in the Principles of Safe Application and Handling of Pesticides PA1.

Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course you should be able to:
1) Understand the legislation and safety regulations relating to weed wiper application equipment.
2) Assess the environmental factors relating to the mixing and application site.
3) Read and interpret product information.
4) Prepare and calibrate the weed wiper.
5) Operate the weed wiper and prime mover.
6) Carry out post application procedures.

16th Janurary 2020

19th March 2020

7th May 2020

10th July 2020

Please note that the assessments are to be confirmed and you will be emailed with a date once the assessment has been scheduled.

We do try to ensure that the assessment is consecutive but cannot guarantee this.

The training course will be £120 + VAT = £144 per person.
The assessment plus City and Guilds registration will be £145 per person (no VAT).

Total £289 per person.

All fees are payable upon booking.

One day training.

2 hours approximately for the assessment (on a second day).

Please note that the assessments are to be confirmed and you will be emailed with a date once the assessment has been scheduled.

We do try to ensure that the assessment is consecutive but cannot guarantee this.

Please bring with you the following kit.
1) Spray suit, coveralls type 5 and 6.
2) Nitrile rubber gloves, 0.5 mm thick, 300 mm long with no flocking.
3) Wellies.

We will provide specific spraying equipment for the training and assessment.

Award in Safe Application of Pesticides Operating Mounted and Trailed Wick Type Applicators PA2f City & Guilds NPTC Level 2.

Do you need a refresher? HSE advises that you complete a refresher every 5 years, although some insurance companies state every 3 years. We can help. We tend to run the refresher courses along side the initial training for PA2f.

Equally if you have a group of people we can put a date together just for you.

Safe Application of Pesticides Weed Wiper PA2f – one day refresher £100 +VAT = £120 per person

You will receive a Lowe Maintenance Certificate of Completion.

Why do I need a ticket?

In 2015 the law changed, anyone who uses pesticides as a professional must have certificates of competence for the application method they are using.

I’ve got grandfather rights, haven’t I?

There is no such thing as grandfather rights to apply pesticides. There is a grandfather right version of the qualification, if you were born before 1964 you could have choosen to do this qualification. It only enables you to apply pesticides on your land though, nowhere else. However it is no longer available it was only open for a certain length of time

Can’t I just do the PA1 foundation unit?

The PA1 foundation unit does not allow you to apply the pesticides and this is clearly stated on the certificate you receive. In order to legally apply the pesticides, you need the relevant application units.

Can I buy products from the internet?

There is no law stopping you buying a pesticide product, you may be asked at the point of sale for evidence of your certificate.

You can stock pile as much as you like, but you break the law when you apply the products without certification.

Isn’t there just one ticket that covers everything?

Unfortunately, not, because there are so many ways to apply different products it is not possible to just have one ticket to cover everything.

There are over 50 different application methods available now and you must choose which ones you need, to continue with your work.

I did my tickets in the 1980’s do they still stand?

If you did the City and Guilds tickets and you still have your certificates, then yes, they still stand.

If you did the Agricultural Training Board (ATB) route and you didn’t up grade them to City and Guilds when requested, then unfortunately it is unlikely that you still have the qualification.

How can I check if I have my spraying tickets?

If you think you did your tickets and have lost them, we can check with our assessment centre to see if you’re on the system. Please email us with your name, date of birth and address of the place you lived and when you did the courses.

Do I need to do refreshers for pesticides?

HSE advise that refreshers are taken every 5 years, however that is entirely up to you. It is recommended because things have changed quite a lot in the last thirty years and if you had an incident one of the first questions you are likely to be asked is when were you last refreshed?

I don’t use pesticides, only weed killers do I have to do the ticket?

Pesticides is the umbrella term for:

  • herbicides (weed killers)
  • insecticide (insects)
  • fungicides (fungi)
  • molluscicides (slugs and snails)
  • vertebrate control agents (not rodenticides)
  • wood preservatives
  • growth regulators

So, if you use any of these as a professional you require the relevant tickets

Do I need to bring my own spraying equipment?

No, we can provide all the spraying equipment at no extra cost. That way we know all the equipment isn’t contaminated in case someone has a reaction to a product that was used if you bought your own kit.

I’m no good at maths, will that be a problem?

My maths is shocking, and I can do the calibrations. You are able to use a calculator and the calibration sheet is a set of boxes, as long as you take your time and practice on the spare sheets we give you, I’m sure you’ll be just fine.

Do I need a ticket to buy pesticides?

No, you don’t need a ticket to buy pesticides, you are breaking the law when you apply the products without a relevant application method.

Do I need to MOT spraying equipment?

Handheld equipment doesn’t require an external body to carry out an inspection, ensuring the applicator is fit for use is the responsibility of the trained operator using it. Checks should be carried out on a regular basis and a record kept of its condition and repairs undertaken if any.

For trailed, mounted or self-propelled:

  • Over 3m by 2020 ensure it has been tested within the last 5 years. After 2020 they need to be tested every 3 years.
  • Under 3m they must be tested every 6 years (slug pellet, granular, boom less)

We recommend Andrew Walburn 07958 351489 for testing.

What does PA2f cover?

PA2f covers the operating of mounted or trailed wick type applicators on small units such as ATV’s and tractors.

The prime mover isn’t part of the qualification.

Can I apply on a hot day?

It is not advised to spray on hot days, not if it is above 30 degrees.

You need to be aware that when it is too hot the plants shut down, they protect themselves by not letting liquids in or out so there is no point wasting time and money spraying when it is hot.

Can I apply for other people when I’ve got my ticket?

As long as you have the correct application method and the full suite of tickets (not the grandfather option) then yes you can.

In fact, it’s a good idea as it helps to recoup some of the associated costs, just be aware that your customers will need the relevant records and paperwork from you.

What are the best conditions for spraying?

The ideal conditions for spraying are:

  • A cool cloudy day
  • Early morning or late evening when it has cooled down
  • Force 2 wind speed

Is there anything I can read before doing the pesticides courses?

You learn everything that you need to on the courses, however you could read through the Pesticide Code of Practice and look on the website

Do I need an ATV or tractor ticket before doing PA2f?

There are no pre-requisites for PA2f, you don’t need to have a tractor driving or ATV ticket to do the course.

Book Now

What’s my next steps?

Safe Application of Pesticides Using Boom Sprayers PA2a
Safe Application of Pesticides Using Knapsack / Lance PA6a
Safe Application of Pesticides To or Near Water PA6aw
Safe Installation of Pesticide Plugs / Ecoplugs PA6pp
Safe Application of Pesticides Stem Injection PA6inj
Safe Use of Pesticides for Vertebrate Pest Control for Rats & Mice
Safe Use of Aluminium Phosphides for Vertebrate Pest Control
Tree Climbing and Rescue 20-13 (CS38)